Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Day That It All Comes Together...

I've been in this place before, where I thought I was going to do a figure competition and posted a picture to Facebook announcing my decision. I was well on my way, but I never put any money into it or fully committed. Today, I committed. I handed over my $75 check at the free informational session of the Caronlina Supernatural, which will be June 15, and I left with a handful of resources and a swell of pride.

So what's different now? I have proved to myself several times again within the last year that I can do ANYTHING that I have my sights on and that HARD WORK PAYS OFF. I had no idea when I prepped for the other show that I would spend most of the summer traveling for job interviews and getting my heart broken after being first runner-up again and again. Now I've landed my dream job, and I couldn't appreciate it as much if I didn't have to struggle for it. I've decided to go back to being 100% vegan, too, and I've been loving the resources I have here between Earth Fare, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I've been scouring Twitter and Pinterest, and I'm realizing how deeply the roots run between like-minded people around the world. They impress me and inspire me, and I want to make them proud :) I also hope to be featured in vegan publications and maybe land a sponsorship???

I told the show organizers that I was nervous and terrified to show up today. I thought for sure I would walk into a room of perfectly sculpted, perfectly poised pros. Wow, was I so wrong... I think it was summed up best when one of the speakers said, "3/4 of you in the room have not prepared for this," and I screamed in my mind, "Heard that!" Seriously, most of those girls clearly have no clue how hard you have to work to get that kind of definition. There are only figure and bodybuilding divisions, not bikini, so they have to be be built (not just skinny and chesty...) I have to think that many of those women realized they are in over their heads and went home tonight thinking maybe next year would be their year. I also loved the attention that I received (in the form of sideways glanced and raised eyebrows) when I returned to the room in my tiniest-I-can-legally-wear sky blue Nike shorts. That's right, ladies, I lift heavy on my legs. I have to start somewhere, so this is my "baseline picture."

The veganism is going to be a huge part of this journey. I am already a HUGE fan of Brendan Brazier's Vega products, specifically the Vega One shake (chocolate blended with an avocado for a thicket consistency) and the Vega Performance Protein in vanilla (added to my insanely gross looking but super delicious spinach/strawberry/sunflower seed smoothies), and I am going to keep experimenting around with other things. I've been cooking up a storm and love how clean I'm eating. It's amazing how quickly your body responds when you decide to NOT eat the way the average Americans do. As always, my hair is thick and shiny, my skin looks like I'm still 24, and I have so much energy that I constantly hear "you're a machine!" Fifteen minute plank and 57 burpees in three minutes?! Yeah, I did that. Especially now that Paleo has taken off (which I think is such a joke, because typing in "paleo" in Pinterest brings up chocolate frosting - that I guess went on the cavemans' cupcakes???), I think it's that much more important that I prove vegans are just as strong as meat eaters. The huge difference is that we are BEAUTIFUL INSIDE. We don't use ridiculous supplements that "get you all jacked," we don't complain about our bland food while mindlessly chomping down on huge amounts of animals, and we aren't the people in the gym who make other people not want to be there. We live compassionately and resourcefully, and there should simply be more people like us.

I was touched by how much money I was able to raise for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society before I did the Nation's Triathlon. I know that most people won't open their wallets as quickly or as deeply for animals and the environment, but I am going to see what I can get. None of the money will benefit me personally. I haven't chosen a cause yet, but I will make sure that it goes to something that all the benefactors can see.

The last thing I can't get out of my head today is how the speakers mentioned sacrifice. They swore the next 13 weeks will be grueling and slightly miserable and that we will make many sacrifices. I don't think I'm going to be on the same journey as everyone else. I'm not making a sacrifice; I'm making a STATEMENT. My life has shown a pattern of me getting something in my mind and not abandoning it until I've seen it through. I think about how traditional minds will be blown when I stand on stage at my strongest with things like tofu, peas and spinach running through my veins. I think about how each day that I speak out and stand up for what I believe it, I become less and less of the minority. I think about all the sweet animals of the world and how they need people to speak for them.

This may be my chance to step up and make a difference. Regardless the outcome, my feet are at the bottom of the staircase and facing forward.

Also, my delicious dinner of Moroccan groundnut stew over quinoa and braised kale with garlic and almonds :)

No comments:

Post a Comment